Sunday, July 31, 2005
Bath Time Fun (for me)
Bath time is a very satisfying experience these days. That's because Emma is D-I-R-T-Y. It's not like the old days, before she was mobile. All this time we've been bathing her every day because it was part of her nighttime routine. Bath time signaled to her that bed was coming soon. Her bath water was always just as clear when we were done as when we started. Not any more. Now I can rub and rub the dirt off of her skin. I can literally see the dirt disappear. And the bathwater is gross when I'm done. I know I am cleaning that girl up good.

I reminds me of when I was in fifth grade. The teacher used to have us pass our papers to someone nearby to be graded. She'd call out the correct answers and we'd mark the papers and pass them back when we were done. As mortifying as it is in retrospect, we used to actually argue over who would get to grade the paper of the dumb kid. If you used a red pen it would look like you had bled all over the paper when you were done. What does this have to do with bathing the baby? Just the fact that if you have to do the task anyway, you might as well be accomplishing something.