Saturday, August 06, 2005
10 favorite TV shows
OK, I've never followed a blog meme before, but then I'm not usually much of a follower. However, when you can't think of your own content, memes will do. So for today we're doing at the behest of former TV critic and A-list (had to go there) blogger Jeff Jarvis:

1. All-time favorite hands down is NewRadio. This was funny and witty and clever on so many levels. It was the greatest ensemble comedy I've ever seen. Dave Foley and Phil Hartman were superb in their roles, but each cast member was essential.

2. Crime Story was so slick and cool. I didn't catch much of it the first time around but saw the whole thing in syndication. Several times. The final episode was mind-blowing.

3. Sopranos was a revelation. Who knew TV could be so smart and multilayered?

4. South Park features some of the most pointed political satire I've ever seen. Yes it's profane, offensive and sometime very off-putting and it's certainly not for kids, but damn it, it's funny.

5. After many years of being away from television I did finally succumb to the charms of Seinfeld. I followed it to the end. That end left me with a sour taste in my mouth and colored my view of the whole endeavor.

6. Mythbusters is a current favorite. I'm fascinated with the anti-chemistry between Jamie and Adam and it's fun to watch them blow up stuff.

7. Hill Street Blues was Must See TV for me before they ever made it imperative. I was hooked to the detriment of my homework assignments in high school.

8. Cheers was definitely a favorite. NBC owned me on Thursday nights for well over a decade.

9. Saturday Night Live. Obviously this couldn't be a favorite over the duration of the run. But at times it defined pop cultural awareness. When I was in, to know what happened last Saturday night was almost required. I had to endure a lot of chaff to get some wheat, but the high points of that show are some of the most memorable high points in television IMHO.

10. And now for the obligatory lame copout to actually making a top 10 list...here are also rans: NYPD Blue, CSI, Picket Fences, Simpsons, and maybe I'll come up with some more later.