Sunday, August 14, 2005
Drinking in front of the children?
I posted a question on my mommy board that I got from the August Parenting magazine. Which do you think sets a better example? Is it better to drink an occasional alcoholic beverage at home so that your children will learn there's a place for drinking in moderation? OR do you think it's better to never drink in front of them so that children will learn that adults don't need alcohol to socialize?

I'm personally for drinking in moderation as an example. Shielding children completely from something as pervasive as alcohol is just going to make it more intriguing to them. Which may result in unintended negative consequences later, underage drinking or binge drinking.

When we were growing up people drank around us. We tasted beer and wine and bourbon and cokes. We knew drinks were for grown-ups. But we never really saw anyone acting drunk. We saw responsible social drinking. There was liquor in the house but it was never locked up. My parents weren't much for drinking at home other than the occasional wine or wine cooler for mom.

I had no particular fascination for alchohol as a teen. I knew it was a path to trouble and I was too focused on academic achievement to want to screw it up with the consequences that can come from underage drinking. I did go to a couple of parties with alcohol and I had a drink or two. My friends drank and got drunk, but I wasn't interested. I told them then what I tell people now. I'm a square.

In college I did get wasted. One night I drank to get drunk. It's a rite of passage and college is where you go to experience life with a safety net so what the hell? I drank and smoked too much and staggered home with the help of a friend. I climbed to my top bunk and the bed wouldn't stop spinning and trying to buck me off. I climbed down and made it to the john before I hurled. I got the whole experience just like it should be. It was great fun getting there and it sucked the next day.

Once I was legal I wasn't too interested in drinking. I'm a cheap date because it only takes two drinks to catch a buzz. But I never had to have it. I have trouble with moderation in anything and drinking is not a habit I wanted to develop. It's expensive and makes you fat. I already have enough problems with food, why add to my struggle? There has been alcholism in the family so I figured I could be genetically predisposed to alcohol addiction, why risk it?

All that being said, if you want to buy me a drink I'll have a bourbon and ginger ale, or my favorite dessert in a glass, a TGIF mudslide (frozen please!)