Friday, August 12, 2005
Grease is the word...
The last few days I’ve been listening to the Grease movie soundtrack on my way to and from work. Listening to some of those songs gives me goose bumps. That movie was such a big deal to me and my friends when it came out. We loved the movie, had to have the soundtrack, learned all the words to the songs and would “play” Grease. I had a pair of red high-heeled pointy toed shoes that my grandmother and given to me to play with and whoever played Sandy would get to wear them and sing “You’re the One That I Want.” All of the neighborhood kids were girls then and you can imagine it was a fight to determine who got to play Sandy (and wear the shoes).

Listening to the soundtrack now takes me right back to that summer, 1978. I was eight years old. As I listen to the words of the songs today I blush to think what was coming out of our little mouths then. But we didn’t understand it, not all of it anyway. The only time I got busted was when I was singing “Look at Me, I’m Sandra Dee.” I got to the part at the end where she says “Eh! Fongool!” I could hear Dad calling from the bedroom.

Dad: “What did you say?”
Me: “It’s the words to the song.”
Dad: “I don’t want you saying that word.”
Me: “Why not?”
Dad: “It’s a bad word, it’s not nice and I don’t want to hear it.”

I have no idea what I said at the time but I’m sure it was the eight year-old, 1978 equivalent of “whatever dude.”