Monday, August 08, 2005
Watching James Bond again
This is almost a default for us. I've been watching since I was a child. I always associate it with James Bond Marathons around the holidays. Of course my favorite James is Sean Connery. His movies are the coolest; everyone looks so grown-up and the sets are ring-a-ding 60's cool. His James Bond was the most mercenary and ruthless; Moore was way too punny. My favorite Connery Bond film is either Thunderball or From Russia With Love. The Lazenby film was fine, I have no quarrel with him, he just wasn't Connery. Roger Moore had the misfortune of being Bond in the 70's, when it was impossible to be cool. The worst example of uncool was Live and Let Die, the voodoo movie featuring Jane Seymour and a redneck sheriff who also appeared in a later movie. Timothy Dalton was a disaster as James Bond, I don't even want to discuss that fallow period. If anyone had to be James in the 90's then Pierce Brosnan was the perfect choice. I can't think of anyone who could have done it better. My favorite Brosnan bond film was Goldeneye, I love rooting against the Soviets again and the tank chase was wild. I shudder to think of having to accept a new face as Bond, James Bond.