Tuesday, September 13, 2005
Cow torment
Those of you who know me from BIO know how a feel about cows. I'm not a fan until they're in plastic packaging. I have many legitimate reasons for my cow resentment which I won't tackle now. But this is the time of year I dread, dread, dread.

They're weaning the calves. The mom's I know who've weaned their babies try to make the process as gentle as possible. Some babies wean themselves over time. Not so with cows. Farmer Brown moves the cows to one side of the road and the calves to the other. Then when baby gets hungry he starts bawling for mama, when mama gets engorged or hears her calf she starts bawling, then you have beef on both sides of the road bawling constantly for about the next 48 hours, day and night. It's horrible to listen to and it's loud. I hate it. The cries are just starting now...

Labels: