Monday, September 12, 2005
My humble furniture...
As you view some of my videos you will see my home; my humble, humble home. I'd just like to point out that in my entire life I've bought one piece of real, new furniture for my house. That's our couch. It seemed like a good idea at the time. Everything else in my house is either built by my husband or passed to us by relatives. OK, I do have a couple of Sauder pieces that we put together, my computer desk, shelves and Emma's closet. Every once in awhile I get the urge to purchase something nice and new. It's not like we can't afford it. It's just that I get overwhelmed at the futility of it. I can't have anything nice. Two big dogs can ruin anything. It either has hair permanently woven into it, scratches or chew marks in it, or smells. Sometimes all of the above.

I do not believe in allowing animals on the furniture. Unfortunately I didn't win that argument. That means the two easy chairs in my living room (courtesy his parent's discards) are the dog beds. When an actual human comes to visit I have to throw towels over the chairs before they're fit to sit in. I hate it.

Now we have a small child. Time to run out and buy new furniture? Probably not. The coffee table and end tables in my living room were built by M. for his college apartment. Very sturdy, but beyond crappy finish now. Our kitchen table, passed to us by my parents who probably bought them circa 1969 from Sears and Roebuck. I desperately want to replace them but my kitchen is so small I don't know what I would like that would fit. Every bed in the house we got from his parents. Dressers...his and my parents. I have several pieces from my grandmothers. One from his aunt. I have two pieces my grandfather built. My design scheme would be best described as "hodgepodge" and "beyond hope."

The end table that appears in Emma's bedroom, also the Sears and Roebuck 1969 newlywed order. We did buy her a new crib and combo dresser. But her bookshelves are some old thing M. had that we painted white and gave new life. Man, the more I write about this the more it sucks. I think I'll stop now.