Thursday, September 22, 2005
Ode to Autumn
My favorite season is here. I love the cool, crisp falls days when the atmosphere is so clear you think you can see the individual shadow of every leaf on every tree. I love the overcast and blustery fall day with the leaves blowing around you, dancing in the wind. I love the first scent of burning wood as the woodstoves are pressed into service again. I love football season, be it Redskins, Tech, high school or Pee Wee football. I love the colors of fall, the yellows, oranges, reds and browns found in nature. I love the maples that turn fluorescent and attract every eye that passes within a mile. I love the freshly harvested apples, the plump decorative pumpkins and the mulled cider warming on the stove. I love being a birthday girl again. I love Halloween, the silly holiday which seems to take on more Christmas-like proportions every year. I love all the pseudo-holidays the federal government starts doling out, starting with Columbus Day.

Some people find Autumn to be depressing because everything is dying. I don't see it that way. I see Autumn as a final orgiastic spectacle and celebration of life.

Finally, to make Autumn the best season for all time, it's the time when I received the greatest gift I've ever received, my beautiful baby Emma.