Monday, October 31, 2005
Cruising, Crayons and a 10 year-old
Today I was talking to a friend and she mentioned that when she was a child, because of her dad's line of business, the family car bore a sign on the side of it featuring a pig. I speculated that she probably wanted to die rather than ride in the car. Then I told her about my memory along those lines...

The first time I ever had the opportunity to cruise the beach at Daytona Beach my Dad insisted on trailering along the pop-up camper. I was only ten years old, but I knew that we were hopelessly uncool...

Of course, from my adult perspective I now realize that there was really no option. Where were we going to leave it so we would look "cooler?"

Here's the rest of that story...We were staying at Daytona Beach for one night on our way to Walt Disney World. That day was my 10th birthday. We had awoken in a campground that morning in North Carolina and had struck camp and eaten breakfast at South of the Border. I had french toast, my favorite. I think I got my meal free when they found out it was my birthday. I had a few gifts to open that morning. One of the gifts was a 64 count box of crayons and a coloring book. For a 10 year-old. Can you imagine? Well imagine this, I was completely and absurdly pleased with that gift. To this day I love sets of colors. Many of you will recall my pen obsession.

We drove the rest of the day and ended up in Daytona that night. I remember a Slurpee in there somewhere, and we actually stayed in a hotel that night. The next day we were off to Walt Disney World and the vacation of a young lifetime.

So there you have it, I was a 10 year-old who thought she was too cool to cruise with a trailer attached, but wasn't too cool to color in coloring books.