Wednesday, October 12, 2005
Emma's 1 Year Check-up
It was today. Everything looked good. They asked me a few questions about what she was doing in terms of talking, mobility and eating habits. I forgot to ask any questions about weaning from the bottle, but to tell you the truth, I could probably find out better information online. I go to a community medical center and our Dr. is a family Dr., not a pediatrician. I feel like Emma would get a much more thorough exam at a pediatrician, but it's the difference between an 8 mile drive and a 60 mile drive. Thankfully Emma has been a healthy little booger anyway.

She weighed 22 lbs according to the scale. But...she stood on the grown-up scale fully clothes and in shoes. Previously she'd been weighed on the baby scale naked. So I'm deducting a half a pound for clothes and shoes, we'll say 21.5 lbs. The nurse measured her length and told me she is 29 1/2". I was like "ummmm...are you sure?" She went over to the chart and noticed Emma was 30" last time. Then she remeasured and decided Emma was 30.25" OK, whatever, so Emma isn't as tall as we thought. Oh well. Looking up the charts online it shows that Emma is 80th percentile in height and 54th in weight.

Finally, she got a flu shot. Apparently there are two of them and she will go for the other shot next month. The nurse told me if they have a shortage or she can't get the next shot for any reason then don't sweat it. She will have some protection. Then the nurse gave Emma a toy to buy her love after hurting her with the needle.

The other thing I noticed today, unrelated to her exam, is that you can see the lower molar coming in now.