Saturday, November 19, 2005
The day after
After I posted last night it got worse. I heard her crying so I went in and changed her diaper, except it was bone dry. I dressed her back up. But by that point she was hysterical. And went on like that, screaming, bucking, kicking for 30-40 minutes while M. and I tried every damned thing we could think of to calm her. She put her fingers in her mouth! Is it teeth? Give her some Baby Oragel! We can't give her more Tylenol cause it's only been 3 hours! I'll call mom! (I should have known right there that calling Mom meant I'd be pressured to call the doctor) So I talk to her, she tried to help but we were thinking of the same ideas. Meanwhile Emma is just totally out of control. We hang up. Then the phone rings. Does she have gas? Maybe it's gas, give her some Mylicon. So we try that. Finally we're sitting there on our king bed just watching her having her screaming hysterical fit. She won't let us hold her, she won't let us touch her, she's just completely beyond help.

So I grab her and start to peel off her clothes and get her down to just her onesie. I take her diaper off and expose the butt to the air. We figure out there is pee in there. She must have peed right after her diaper was back on and it was burning the hell out of her. Slowly, very slowly, she starts to come back to us, to wind down. But if you could see this butt, it's just horrible. So I do bring myself to call the docter (I'm one of those people who hates to be a bother and it's 10:22 and we have one poor MD who is taking all "on calls" right now). Fortunately he happened to be at the medical center. We talked about the rash and the possibilities for helping to soothe her. He offers to meet me Sat. if it's not better and he'll write a scrip for Nylantin (sp?) By that time she's resting on my chest, her ragged breaths hitching occasionally. What we ended up doing was letting her run around nakey butt again till she was fully calmed down, and then put her to bed nakey butt. I waited about 40 minutes and then went up and put a diaper on her in her sleep. Which was touch and go, but actually worked.

When she woke up this morning it looked much better. The bright red inflammation that had been spread all over was gone. It looked like a rash. Today she still fights me at diaper changes, but I think we're on the downhill side of this disaster.