Sunday, November 27, 2005
It happened. I was warned...
about two weeks ago. M. mentioned that his Mom might be buying us an artificial Christmas tree for our present this year. He said she hadn't said so explicitly, but she was hinting. She has allergies to the trees so she switched to artificial a couple of years ago. She said something to M. about it possibly helping my allergies. I thought about it briefly with a vague panic but then dismissed it.

When I came home from Noni & Popi's last night the gift was in our kitchen. For the first time in my life I am not having a real Christmas tree. Don't get me wrong, I can see the benefits of artificial, but it feels artificial too. It feels like we're cheating. M. wanted to put it up today. He figures if we have an artificial tree we might as well enjoy the benefits of it, i. e. being able to put it up early. We usually have to wait till close to Christmas with a real tree because our wood stove dries them up fast. Now it doesn't matter.

I spent the morning mourning the real tree we wouldn't have this year. It just made me really, really sad. Now the new tree is up. I'll have to get over it. It's smaller than we usually buy, but it holds the ornaments really well. It's heavily laden, that's for sure. I just made a promise to myself that when Emma is old enough to realize what's going on, and asks for a real tree, we'll definitely get one. This isn't the end of the world. And I really can say "Thank you for our gift, Grandma G."



This is one of the first of the millions of inevitable encounters Emma will have with the tree...