Friday, November 18, 2005
Now I know what diaper rash looks like
It's horrible. Bright red and welty looking. Overnight Emma went from having a spot here and there to her whole diaper area turning beet read. I've never seen such a thing. The poor girl looks like she has a red baboon butt. When I dropped her off at Mary's this morning I told her about it and told her to keep an eye on Em so she could change her diaper quickly. When I picked her up Mary said Emma would fuss every time she was wet so she knew it was hurting her. And it wasn't looking any better, maybe worse.

I had decided when we got home that she was going to have a nakey buns session to air it all out for a while, consequences be damned. But then I thought what if she sits on the floor and gets dog hair all over her lotioned butt? Then I'd have to wipe it even more vigorously to get the hair off. Ugh. M. suggested we get her some little cotton panties to run around in so I headed down the street to the Evil Corporate Entity and bought some. As it turns out her nakey buns session lasted well over and hour, until bath time. We never did need the panties. When her buns hit the air she was really excited and happy. Her mood improved 100%.

If she cries at all tonight I'm heading straight in there and changing her diaper. In a fit of inspiration I gave her some Tylenol for the pain before tucking her in. I hope it's not so bad in the morning.