Sunday, January 15, 2006
I am not a TV snob
People ask...do you watch Desperate Housewives? No. Lost? No. CSI? No. American Idol? No. Survivor? No. No. No. No. I don't watch any network TV, other than football.

Well...what the hell? Do I think I'm too good for TV? No. I know my obstinance tries the patience of selected friends. Here's what I do watch...the aforementioned football, Mythbusters, South Park and whatever M. happens to have on. Does that sounds like a snob?

Here's the deal...I used to watch LOTS of TV. I had shows for just about every night of the week. I was hooked too. Friends, CSI, ER, NYPD Blue, etc. I was planted in front of my TV at the appointed time every night. I got emotionally involved with the characters and would even follow up certain episodes by reading the summary on Television Without Pity.

I finally realized that I needed to stop. No show is worth arranging my schedule and blocking out the rest of my real life. Often, I abandon appointment television when I'm on a "get healthy" kick. That was the case this time, but I've never gone back. Now I'm commitment-phobic. I don't want to feel the pull to be on the couch at any particular hour. Yes, I could DVR or Tivo it, but really, it's so much bother. I can quickly get sucked into a program, so I avoid them all.

The toughest test I've had to endure was the final season of Six Feet Under. We had watched the entire series, up until the third to last episode in the fourth season. Then I quit. I think it had built up since the David carjacking episode, but I stopped cold. Unfortunately I didn't realize the next season would be the last. And that it would be a hot topic of discussion on my mommy board. And that I'd be teased with the fate of these characters I already knew. It was so so hard not to go back. I even broke down and read the summaries of the last three episodes of Season Four. But the thing that kept me for watching the very end of the series was that I'd missed most of season five. Why jump in at the end? Who am I kidding? I read the summary of the last one. I wanted to know how they all died. But I never watched. Someday I might get the whole season on DVD and finish it.

Having said all that...Sopranos starts in March. We've watched since the very first episode many years ago. I will be making an exception to the rule for that one. Sopranos is just too big to say "no." You try to get out...and they PULL you back in...