Tuesday, February 28, 2006
In the second grade...
I was sitting around my table. There were probably six of us that sat together, all girls. I was wearing a long dress to school that day. It was a cotton dress, very colorful and I'm sure I felt pretty. I looked down under my chair and realized I was wearing two different colored shoes. That morning I had tried on one of each so I could go in and show Mom how they looked and decide which ones I should wear. I guess at some point I got distracted and forgot all about it.

I can't even remember if I realized it and pointed it out, or if another girl at the table did. It might have even been me. We all had a good laugh about it. Then I got up and asked to be excused to the bathroom. I remember the tears started coming on the way down the hall. I went in the bathroom and cried and cried. I was utterly humiliated and I knew it was me who had been so stupid. Eventually one of the girls from the table was sent to check up on me. She went back and reported and then my teacher came for me.

I can remember her. Ms. Gnagy. She was 24 years old and a very sweet person. I'm pretty sure I told her that I was crying because all the girls laughed at me. Nevermind that I laughed along and might have even started it. Second graders are not exactly known for emotional stability.

I can't remember what happened next...I'm thinking she comforted me and lead me back to class. But then she must have placed a call to my Mom, Noni, to tell her what had happened. Noni left work (lunch hour?) and went out and bought me brand new sandals. She drove them to the school for me. She and my teacher relieved me of the symbols of my humiliation and I got brand new sandals to boot! Talk about superheroes.

I'm not sure if Noni will even remember this, but I remember.