Friday, March 03, 2006
Music appreciation
The iPod is fulfilling it's purpose; music is becoming more a part of my life again.

My iPod is filled with my entire music collection; right now about 4400 titles. I like all kinds of music. I'm partial to music from my formative years, the 1980's, but I really enjoy music from the last century. OK, except maybe the 1920's.

I love vocalists, so I love singers who can sing the standards. The ones who set the standard for the standards. My all time favorites are Dean Martin, Nat King Cole, and Ella Fitzgerald. Their voices soothe my soul. They really take me to a wonderful place when I listen to them. There are some others I also enjoy, like Bing Crosby, Doris Day, Dinah Shore, Frank Sinatra, Jo Stafford, Keely Smith, and Dinah Washington. I can tell by listening whether it's Ella, Billie Holiday, or Bessie Smith.

Most people don't get it. "Elevator music, whatever dude."

All I can say is it gets me right...here.