Wednesday, April 26, 2006
Cool German stuff
One thing that is cool about Germany is the windows. Remember, I mentioned earlier that Germans build their houses to last 100 years. So, the features you find might be a bit different. One thing I really liked was the roladens. These are rolling blinds, similar to our hurricane blinds. You can roll them so they hang loosely and some light filters through, or you can roll them so they fit tight and the light is completely blacked out. And I mean completely. I would wake up and have no idea it was morning because the roladens had me fooled.

The other cool thing is the windows. If you click this link (please do this time) you'll see how the window opens based on how you turn the handle. Believe me, you about soil your shorts the first time you turn the handle too far and the whole window seems to come off in your hands. K. says that it's common for Germans to tilt open all the windows in the morning to air out the house, no matter what the temperature outside.

Labels: