Friday, April 07, 2006
We have arrived safely
Yes, indeed, we are here. We were pretty well on time for arrival. B. said he and his son were standing there for about 30 seconds when we came through the door.

Right now it's 10:38 a.m. (in Germany) and C. is downstairs watching TV. We're waiting for K. to come home and take us to get our IDs for getting on base. I've unpacked our things. They provided space for us very nicely. We even had gifts waiting for us on our pillows. A bottle of wine, beer and some chocolates. Woo hoo!

As far as I know the plan is to chill out here this afternoon and then go out to eat at an Italian place called Europa for supper. I'm told we're doing De Kartoffle tomorrow.

My impression so far:

Going 130 on the autobahn was a thrill. Not my favorite kind of thrill. Unfortunately the autobahn is also now plagued with stop and go traffic. B. was later getting back to work than he planned to be.

The officious dudes checking our passports at Frankfurt cracked me up.

This area geographically reminds me of the Charlottesville, VA area.

I did notice the clusters of houses (villages) from the air with lots of cultivated fields in between. Very interesting.

They try to feed you too much on the plane. I just had to skip meals or pick at stuff. It's a long plane ride, there's no way to get around that. It would have been handy if I could have slept some. But oh well. We've been awake 24 hours now...

So basically, have been in Germany for about three hours. Will report back when I actually have something to report. Oh, and need to find B's camera cord before I can upload any pictures. So far there isn't much anyway. We need to actually DO something first.

Labels: