Thursday, May 25, 2006
Close encounters
Today Emma had her first close encounter with a thistle. We went for a walk down to the cattle guard again. Then she ventured off through the field. Some of the thistles out there are whoppers. I tried to steer her around them because I know she had no idea...and then she fell on one. Oh boy. I know it hurt, I remember. After that she wanted me to carry her. I walked her out of the area where the thistles were dense and tried to put her down. She freaked. I carried her onto the old road and tried to put her down. No dice. As we walked past thistles I'd point to them and say "owie", trying to help her learn how to identify them. When we reached the gravel driveway she finally agreed to walk again on her own. She headed back toward the gate. But as we'd pass a big thistle by the driveway she'd point and say "ow."