Sunday, May 07, 2006
Metallica Black album


July 17, 1992 - I attended the kick off of the Guns n' Roses/Metallica tour at RFK stadium in Washington, DC. Faith No More opened and I think they left the tour soon after. I'm embarrassed to say when I went to that concert I was more of a Guns n' Roses fan and hadn't even heard much of the Black album. So the concert was an eye-opening education. Metallica kicks ass live. I mean seriously. I went a GnR fan and left a Metallica fan. (It didn't help that GnR went on 1 1/2 hours late, a regular trait, apparently).

After the concert I went right out and bought the album. And this is when I was poor, so you can tell it was a priority ;) This album is the definition of a head-banging album. In the Wikipedia entry the writer seems to lament that this album was more or less of a sell-out, that they made themselves more accessible with their ballad. Whatever dude. Up until I was edu-ma-cated I thought Metallica was only for the mean rednecks back in high school. I had no idea that Metallica really rocked.

This is a great album for when you want to blast out the cobwebs.