Wednesday, May 03, 2006
Purple Rain


Another album that I'll always enjoy. I remember buying this one on LP with my own money. This was when I was first becoming a consumer of music, around 13 years old. It was the beginning of a lifetime love affair, not just this album, but music in general. I can even remember the day I got it. This album doesn't recall a period of my life so much as distinct memories...

Listening to "When Doves Cry" on the radio while camping out in a tent in my best friends yard.

Someone playing the album on the back of the bus on a French field trip. "Darling Nikki" came on and the French teacher was right there. Would they dare play it? We were all scandalized that the teacher was hearing those salacious lyrics. When the song was over he was very blase about it. A serious anticlimax.

The rumors about Wendy and Lisa. Naughty, naughty.

I did see the movie. It's as good as most rock movies, which isn't saying that much. But Jay and Silent Bob were right, Morris Day and the Time made that movie.

Prince himself has done some pretty wacked out stuff over his career, but I've always respected him for being a musician first and then taking care of his own business.

I'm adding the wikipedia link on this album, and going back and adding it to The Smiths too. I know wikipedia can't be trusted for scholarly stuff, but for background and interesting factoids on these albums it's quite interesting.