Monday, May 08, 2006
Rebel Yell


I'm guessing Allison (NC) was wondering where the heck this one was. Rest assured these albums aren't being presented in order of importance. This one looms large. I loved, loved, loved Billy Idol, from the beginning. OK, not the beginning as in Generation X, but the beginning as in the first time I saw him on Friday Night Videos. It was the "Dancing with Myself" video. I was mesmerized. Idol was the epitome of hotness, and wetness (sweat, sweat, sweat...) His music rocked, and in my mind it has stood the test of time. It still rocks.

This album was the first one of his I owned. I knew it by heart. The only big disappointment was that "Dancing with Myself" wasn't on this one. I had to track down the more obscure "Billy Idol" album to find that. (Found it in Camp Lejeune, NC!) Rebel Yell was full of hits...White Wedding, Eyes Without a Face and Flesh for Fantasy. Of course every song on the album was a hit to me.

I will admit that Billy Idol was a beneficiary of the growing fascination with music videos among the youts, like myself. While I didn't have cable, I would actually stay up till 1:30 a.m. and wait for Friday Night Videos just in hopes of seeing Billy Idol or the Police.

In all honesty, Rebel Yell may have been the pinnacle of Idol's career. He was young and wasted, but he sure was purty. He's made some good music since then, but I really think that was the peak.