Tuesday, May 16, 2006
Unlovely day
I had a funeral to attend today. It was an 89 year-old lady who used to be a teacher in town. M had her for fourth and fifth grade. He was actually a pallbearer. The funeral was a departure from what I'm used to. It was all preaching and barely a mention of the deceased. That was her request, she didn't want to be talked about at her funeral. Interesting. I came prepared with tissues because I ALWAYS cry at funerals. Not this time. I left completely dry-eyed.

Now, the graveside service was another matter. I got misty looking at the family members who were dealing with the finality of the matter. The graveside service is always the end of the road. Then you part ways with the deceased and head for the church, where the women of the church have prepared a meal to feed an army. I went back to work.

It was cold, hardly got out of the 40's. I wore black and gray all day. Blech.