Saturday, June 24, 2006
The Civil War Store
I don't even remember it's name. It was quite interesting. Filled with Civil war histories, artifacts and reproductions. Plus Southern Pride accessories. I don't want to get into it deeply, but the perspective in much of this geographical area is that the Confederate Battle Flag is about "Heritage, not Hate." We're steeped in Civil War history. There are battlefields all over the place. My ancestors fought for both the Blue and the Grey, depending on which family. We have a battlefield reenactment right here in my county that is quite popular with the actual reenactors because the battlefield area is so unspoiled.

I know many people see this flag a racist symbol, but it's just not seen that way by everyone. It's kind of like saying everyone wearing a red bandana is for the Bloods. I'm sure a few racists wear the flag, but a lot of serious historians and southern pride boosters do too. I'm so steeped in PC indoctrination myself that my brain says a silent "uh oh" when I see it displayed. But then I also know that many people love to flaunt the flag as a big middle finger to the PC crowd, and my little brain voice says "tee hee!" to that. If you want to be "sensitive" you don't fly or wear the flag. I cannot understand why it is that the easily offended always seem to win.

At any rate...if you want to know about the actual history of this battle flag and others you can click here. My point in telling you all this is that we fall on the "Heritage, not hate" side, even though we don't actually own a flag. Civil War study is a big part of the history curriculum in Virginia. I've visited many battlefields, both while I was in school and after.


We were trying to get Emma to put on a cap but she wasn't having it. I can't recall which ones were infantry, artillery or cavalry, but Popi could probably tell you.


With this cap we get Johnny Reb meets Minnie Pearl...