Tuesday, June 27, 2006
Nugget hound
I climbed down off of my high horse and finally bought a bag of frozen chicken nuggets. Costco had a sale. Dinosaur shaped. I'm such a MOM. Anyway, do you see how she stuffs her face sometimes? It's nuts. She'll sit there with a mouth full and be signing for more. We literally have to tell her to eat what's in her mouth and then she can have more.

She has actually choked four or five times. I don't have to tell the moms out there how horrifying that is. Once I went so far as to flip her upside down and beat her back. It worked. That time she was eating peanut butter filled pretzels. A few times I've gotten as far as unbuckling her chair before she puked or otherwise cleared her airway. The last time it happened was last week and it was a little piece of cut up chicken. She puked it into my hand and started crying. Makes me want to cry too.

I read something today or yesterday that said you should raise the left arm of a person who is choking because it provides for maximum opening of the airway. I hope to never have to use this knowledge.