Monday, July 17, 2006
I read a book. Again.
Two of them. On Friday I read Lullaby by Chuck Palahniuk, who also wrote Fight Club. Lullaby was one of those books that intends to be disturbing. I felt uneasy just opening it up and starting it. The book starts with dead babies. Babies who died of SIDS, every mother's nightmare and a fear very close to my heart. But in the book the "hero" makes the discovery that the babies are actually being killed by a culling song. They die after their parents unknowingly read them a particular poem in a particular book. Over the course of the story our hero tries to track down all copies of the book and eliminate them. He also discovers that the culling song kills anyone who hears it, including adults. He is shocked to find that the culling song gives him the ability to kill at will, even by directing thoughts of the song at people. Being a Palahniuk novel, you can imagine much weirdness ensues.

The other book I read was Undead and Unappreciated by MaryJanice Davidson. I'm ashamed to say this book has been sitting around my house for nearly a year. I think she's written two more books in this series since I got this one. I really loved the first two books in the series and the third was perhaps the lesser of the three, in my opinion. Still, I enjoyed it very much. I'm now trying to think of where I might have hidden the fourth book from myself.