Sunday, July 09, 2006
I watched it last night on WE, which is it's own special torture. Cable channels kill you with commercials because it's the same ones over and over at every break. Anyway, I digress.

This movie was completely fascinating to me. I hadn't seen it since it's original run in 1988. It was definitely a slice of the Eighties, starting with the Big Hair. Big, Bad Hair. Then it was a moment in time in the decade of Greed. Mergers and Acquisitions, Barbarians at the Gate, the workings of Wall Street and High Finance. It actually made me think of Andrea since much of it seem to have been shot around the World Trade Center. There were many shots of the towers throughout the movie.

It was funny to see Harrison Ford in the role of the financial wheeler and dealer. Sigourney Weaver's character didn't seem as odious as I had remembered her. And Melanie Griffiths, well, it's hard to take her seriously at all. She is totally undermined by that voice. If you've heard it you know what I'm talking about, if not, then I can't really think how to describe it.

The most famous lines from that movie:

Melanie Griffith's character: "I have a head for business and a bod for sin."

Her best friend, who was trying to talk her out of the charade she was perpetrating:
"Sometimes I sing and dance around the house in my underwear. Doesn't make me Madonna. Never will."

You were supposed to root for "Tess McGill" to make it out of the secretarial pool because of her smarts and her spunk, and I did. But when I look at what she aspired to...the office with the window, it kind of depressed me. It's depressing enough when you see those giant office cattle pens with everyone working elbow to elbow, floor after floor, building after building. It explains the Dilbert phenomenon. From my sheltered perspective it seems so dehumanizing. If you're in it maybe you find it invigorating or maybe you're just damned grateful to have a job. But I can say this with utter certainty...it's not for me. Maybe someone can explain to me the allure. If it's $$$ then OK, nevermind my comments ;)