Wednesday, August 30, 2006
Fair time!
Tonight was the long-awaited first night of the fair and, well, it rained. It rained on the fair parade. Since my MIL's house is on the parade route we attended anyway. Bless their hearts, those kids rode the floats the whole way. And the high school band went by looking like a wet t-shirt contest, all those white bras shining through their white shirts. Attendance was down at the picnic at the house. Most of the crowd is geriatric and many are having health issues this year, or their parents are. Despite the rain we collected a huge amount of damp candy. It's drying out under the lights on the kitchen counter now. Being near the end of the parade route has its benefits. By then those who were stingy with the candy along the route to that point are now throwing it at you by the handfuls.

We did forge ahead to the fairgrounds after the parade was over because I wanted to check out the photography exhibit. My babysitter's daughter had asked me permission to enter a couple of pictures of Emma in the fair and of course I said yes. I saw her before I saw the pictures and she said that Emma's feet had won a blue ribbon. Thank God she told me because I never would have recognized the bottoms of my own child's feet. There was also a picture where Emma was recognizable. I imagine I'll get comments on it because people won't notice we didn't enter it.