Tuesday, August 01, 2006
I want to marry VH1 Classic
I love it that much. Today is the 25th Anniversary of MTV. It launched on August 1, 1981 with Video Killed the Radio Star. VH1 Classic is showing the first day of programming of MTV today. It's seriously awesome time capsule. MTV doesn't even resemble itself anymore, what tripe. But VH1 Classics shows videos (gasp!) like MTV used to, and they're geared toward the MTV generation (ME). It's why I'm forever wedded to the Dish Network 180 programming package. I'd love to economize, but I want my MTV! (VH1 Classic!)

By the way, after watching about an hour of the programming I'd have to say it was a miracle MTV made it past the first day. Anyone have fond memories of Bootcamp, Rainbow, and Rockpile with Robert Plant? No? There was a heinous, heinous Kate Bush video. On the more acceptable side I've seen REO Speedwagon twice and Rod Stewart. Let me tell you, 1981 sexy is NOT 2006 sexy. But I guess sexiness kind of won the survival of the fittest battle during the infancy of MTV.