Tuesday, August 29, 2006
Pity this dude


I was the worst spring dance date ever. He was a really nice guy, there was nothing wrong with him. It's just that I had a crush on someone else, who we actually hung with at the dance. My date was a 9th grader and I was a 7th grader. He had a lovely speaking voice, very mellow and deep (He later went on to do radio for a while). We had just acted together in the school play, which had turned out disastrous, largely due to poor choice of material.

The guy I had a crush on was a 7th grader who was going with a 9th grader. But he flirted with me mercilessly and led me on. No kidding, he was a playa. I was so smitten. I got to sit at the dance and watch him and his girl. Gag.

This poor date of mine also suffered for my irrational and shameful prejudice against dating men shorter than me. He was a fine, fine person. It wasn't his fault he was short. But I couldn't cope. Somehow that stuff is amplified in a school setting. I think I danced with him twice. Why did I even go with him? I liked him as a friend, and he asked.

It seems like I'm using this blog to atone for my sins. Only the awkward and embarrassing memories seem to come back to me. But they really feel like they happened last year, not twenty-some years ago.

To be honest I never got over my prejudice about men shorter than me. As friends they rock. But I need to be with a partner whose physical presence is above mine. I have a strong personality (shocker!), was pretty much raised androgynously, and need to have a "big manly man" to balance me.

As for C. D., I'm really sorry. I'm sorry I ruined your evening. But you certainly felt that kiss was owed to you at the end, and you were right. Tongue and all ;)