Saturday, September 30, 2006
School bus and the Moon
These are the two things that rule Emma's world right now. She's constantly on the lookout for school buses, wherever we go. On our trip to town in the morning we pass one bus. She used to holler out "school bus!" right as we rolled into town. I thought she was anticipating one that sometimes sits at the grocery store on the corner, but it's only there one out of five times. It took me a couple of weeks to realize she was seeing the little white abbreviated bus at the Baptist Church and getting excited over that "school bus."

On the drive home we pass two school buses, parked in their driver's driveways. She always announces them as we go by. She owns the Little People school bus and a Matchbox one. She has a Little People school bus book. School buses are everything right now. When she stays at Grandma's, whose house is next door to the county school, she stands at the door and watches all the school buses go by. She's obsessed.

The sad part is that I plan to do everything in my power to make sure she doesn't have to ride the school bus. I hated, no, despised, my experiences on the school bus. The worst behaviors available from school kids present themselves on the bus. This school system mixes seniors to kindergartners on the school buses and I'm definitely not comfortable with that. I'll go to work early so that I can drive her to school and avoid sending her on the school bus.

The moon also rules right now. She looks for it day and night. She points it out wherever she sees it. In the sky, on her Laugh and Learn House, on the book "Goodnight Moon," everywhere. Every evening when she and Daddy go out to run around she's always looking for the moon in the darkening sky. She'll come in the house and give me the moon report when they're done.

This morning after her morning Sesame Street Alphabet DVD I switched the TV over to Disney channel. There was an episode of Little Einstein coming on so I thought we'd try it. It was her first time seeing it so I didn't have high hopes. The episode was about the main characters helping a mouse deliver a present to the moon. Emma was transfixed. By the end of the episode I figured it might be a good idea to rewind it and record it as it played again.

Emma has wanted to do nothing but watch that show over and over all day. The episode is scored to Mozart's Eine Kleine Nachtmusik. By the time I sat down to type this she had seen this episode literally (at least) eight times today. Normally this child will not sit for TV. Since I began this post, and turned her over to her father's care, they've watched the episode at least twice more. (It's raining outside) I think she is going to ruin Eine Kleine Nachtmusik for me.