Monday, October 16, 2006
Back to Mary's
Mary called me last night. She asked me if I would bring Emma back. She said they sure were missing her. Then she said she was afraid Emma would get used to going somewhere else. I quizzed her on how she was doing and whether she really felt like she could handle Emma. I told her I was concerned that my child could hurt her and set back her progress. She said she really felt that she and her husband could handle Emma. I made her promise to tell me at the end of the first day whether she still thought it was a good idea.

So Emma went back this morning. We told Emma last night that she'd be going to Mary's instead of Grandma's. She sat there and you could tell she was considering what we were saying and thinking about it. When we got to Mary's she acted like she'd never been away. She went right to Mary and then to her lunchbox to begin unpacking her breakfast. Mary told me she was so afraid that Emma was going to cry when I brought her back. Nope.

At the end of the day Mary said Emma had played hard all day. She also said that Emma taken out her paci somewhere along the way and they'd lost track of it. Emma didn't seem to mind. Sigh. It will be so good to get back to routine. It's hard to convey what a strain it's been on me, and especially on M, to have our child care situation thrown into turmoil.

I'm sad that Emma won't be spending as much time with Grandma. But I've learned from this that she really doesn't mind having Emma around and that we really can call on her whenever we need her. Like this Wednesday when Mary has a doctor's appointment.