Sunday, October 29, 2006
I'm embarrassed and ashamed of my alma mater right now...
W&M removes chapel cross to be inclusive
College officials cite chapel's use for many nonreligious events

WILLIAMSBURG -- Officials at the College of William and Mary have removed a 2-foot-high gold cross from a campus chapel they say is increasingly used for nonreligious events.

"In order to make the Wren Chapel less of a faith-specific space, and to make it more welcoming to students, faculty, staff and visitors of all faiths, the cross has been removed from the altar area," read a recent e-mail to Wren Building employees.


This was first brought to my attention at Michelle Malkin's blog. This is so wrong. This chapel has been a part of the campus for over 300 years. It's a sacred place when it warrants and secular place when allowed. My Circle K club had member inductions there. It was an honor to use the room and it added gravitas to the ceremonies. We knew we were in a sacred and holy place and we behaved appropriately. Why in the world would they banish the cross for even one minute? For the sake of "inclusiveness?" Give me a break! It's a CHAPEL, it has been for 300 years! Perhaps they should be more focused on preserving the dignity and integrity of the place instead of turning it into a general purpose romper room.

And how about people of other faiths "tolerating" a cross in a Chapel? Is that too much to ask? Why do Christians always get the short end of the tolerance stick. I'm tired of it.

Mind you, this is the same W&M administration that has been fighting the NCAA to keep feathers in the W&M athletic logo and Tribe as the team name. Hypocrisy anyone? They're not worried about the miniscule possibility of offending native Americans (the local Virginia tribes have no objections), but it's OK to toss a cross from the Chapel? I'm really disgusted by all of this.

I love my alma mater and will actually be visiting in two weeks. I honestly cannont imagine that this decision will hold. I'm sure I'm not the only alumnus disgusted by this administration's craven pandering to political correctness.