Monday, October 23, 2006
Under the gun
For a silly reason. A friend gave me a birthday gift; a very generous gift certificate for a dinner out. She envisioned us hiring a babysitter and having a quiet evening out, just the two of us. There was enough money for appetizers, wine, dessert, the whole nine yards. Friday we heard that the place where she had bought it was closing down this coming weekend. Yikes! And they're usually closed Tues. - Thurs. We're busy Fri. and Sat., so that left tonight or Sunday.

We tried to go there tonight. It's their buffet night. We were going to take Grandma because buffet night doesn't cost as much and we needed her help burning the whole gift certificate up. She couldn't come so it was just M and me and Emma. We got there and they were full; we apparently should have had a reservation for buffet night. I think their own business model might have done them in.

I went in and talked to the owner. I explained to her that they had sold this gift certificate just last week and now we had no time left to use it. She graciously offered me cash from the till for it. You better believe I took it. I would have preferred a gift certificate from the Inn anyway. They have a crab dip appetizer that's to die for.

We ended up schlepping down to the local greasy spoon, which was the only other restaurant open in town on a Monday evening. We'll save the Inn for later.