Thursday, November 09, 2006
My morning
It actually started off last night. After all the effort I made to pack everything M and Emma could possibly need I ended up shorting myself. How could I know? I got a visit from every woman's favorite visitor. And I was totally unprepared, totally. I was grumpy because I'd have to visit a drug store in the morning, cutting into my family time before my meetings. I was trying to come up with all kinds of ideas to prolong the inevitable.

Then this morning I got up (after not falling asleep until after 3:00 a.m.) and started to get dressed and realized that I had left my makeup at home. All of it. No moisturizer, no cold cream, no concealer, no powder, no eyeliner, no blush, and no mascara. I would not be able to appear in public.

I called the front desk shortly after 7:00 a.m. "Where can you buy makeup at this hour of the morning?" She said Walmart or Kmart. (Williamsburg has a Walmart now?) So we made plans to go out and buy me a face. She girl at the desk said we could stop by the desk and pick up written directions.

I sent M down to get the directions. I didn't want to show my bare face. When he went to the desk to ask for directions he explained that he had forgotten his makeup.

I got dressed and did my hair and the three of us drove to the new Walmart and bought everything I needed. I spent $34.44 on stuff that I already had sitting at home. We came back and ate breakfast together and then I packed my stuff and headed out. I stopped by the front desk to leave a message for my friend, Mike, who was checking in later. When I told the girl my room number she smiled and said, "Oh, you're the make-up lady."