Monday, November 20, 2006
Sniff! My baby's growing up...
All in one day!

This evening when I picked her up from Mary's she was chatting the whole way home. She never asked for her paci once. She was asking me to sing songs instead. For the rest of the entire evening she never mentioned her paci. I kept waiting with dread, but no. As we were dressing her she was serenading us with her versions of ABC's and Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star. Sometimes I fear the cuteness will kill me.

AND...she peed in her potty for the first time ever (at home). I've heard rumors from Mary that she's used the one there, but never at home. Tonight after she was nakey she waltzed in the bathroom and sat on her potty while Daddy was drawing the bath. She's had this routine for months. But this time she actually peed. "I did it." Daddy was lavishing her with praise so I had to go in and see for myself.

(As I reflect on this post I can picture myself in my single days thinking "big damn deal." I never understood a parent's fascination with every little bit of minutiae involving their child. I couldn't see how every simple new task was such a big deal.

Now I know why. When you see where they start, just cute little lumps with no capabilities other than crying, sleeping and pooping, you realize that every single new thing they learn to do IS a major accomplishment. Milestones stand out, big and small.

So to my (one) single reader: Have patience with the Mommy who is crowing about her child urinating in a plastic chair. Trust me, it's a big deal.)

I think today's shirt was quite appropriate: