Wednesday, December 20, 2006
Please, Noni, don't kick my butt
I know I put Chex Mix on my Christmas list, but it was just "me too" cause Uncle B did it. I hadn't planned on making Chex Mix myself, but well...M loves it when I do. If you've already made us some you can take that portion and share it with the whole family when we're together. So today I made Chex Mix, Cocoons, M & M cookies and may still make one more batch of cookies tonight. M is teaching Emma to love Chex Mix. It's always fun when the pot is full and there's plenty.



In the video she is following her id and picking out all the nuts. You can see her discover a new nut, too.



About my Chex Mix...I despise what they've done to the recipe. Bagel bits? Are you kidding me? This is not what I grew up loving as a kid. A couple of years ago I searched online for historical information which would show the Chex Mix recipe from the '70s. I think between two recipes I found, and a few modifications to modernize the method, I've found the good stuff. Here's my recipe:

Highland Gal's Chex Mix

5 to 6 tbsp. of margarine
4 1/2 tsp. of Lea & Perrins Worchestershire sauce
1 1/4 tsp. of seasoned salt (for me it must be Lawry's, or forget it, I'm not making it)
2 c. Rice Chex
2 c. Corn Chex
2 c. Wheat Chex
1 c. pretzel sticks
1 c. mixed nuts

Melt margarine in a small bowl in the microwave. Mix in worchestershire sauce and seasoned salt. In a large bowl mix cereal, pretzels and nuts. Pour butter mixture over cereal mixture and stir well. Microwave in a microwave-safe bowl for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring every two minutes. Spread on absorbent paper to cool. Store in airtight container.

(In typing this I just noticed that I've been only doing 2 c. for each cereal and the recipe calls for 2 2/3 c. That might be why mine is extra flavorful and everyone loves it. Next year I may go back to 2 2/3 c., We'll see. The original recipe also calls for only 4 tbsp. of margarine and I bumped that up too. This is not health food, ya'll)

Labels: