Saturday, January 13, 2007
It's hard to find good help these days
M and I went out to dinner tonight to use my "gift certificate" that I received from my friend back in October. We were out to blow $60 so we got everything we wanted. We had crab dip appetizer and salads. I had the pasta primavera alfredo and M had the chopped steak with onions, peppers and mushrooms. He had two Heinekens with his meal and we topped it off with two slices of Chef Lisa's Toll House pie. I brought home more of my meal in my to-go box than I ate.

When the waiter brought our meal the total was $32.00. Huh? I've known the waiter since he was a little boy and he's not one of the brightest bulbs in pack. Very nice, but you could tell he had just gotten the job. He made a few minor mistakes along the way, but we knew the bill was all wrong. I took the check up to pay the Innkeeper and told him he'd better pull out his pen. The waiter had failed to charge us for the crab dip and had charged $7.95 for my meal instead of $13.95. So he missed it by $14.00. I settled up and we went on our merry way.

I figure the Innkeeper needs to make a living and needs to know his waiter isn't so hot at math. And the higher the bill the more tip the waiter got, so it wasn't a total loss for him, even if he does get a talking to about it.