Sunday, April 29, 2007
About the shopping...
Long-time readers of the blog might get the idea that all we ever do when we go to Noni and Popi's is shop and eat fast food. Technically, you'd be just about correct. There is a reason for this, however.

We live in a remote mountainous area. There are no fast food chains here, no big grocery stores, and only two chain gas stations. We have only three restaurants, no movie theater and no pharmacy. There is no Food Lion, no Walmart, not even a Dairy Queen or a Rite Aid. Three years ago a Dollar General snuck in somehow. It's a great place to shop if you're in the market for cheap junk made in China.

For us, there is no popping by Walmart on the way home when we need something. M and I are better off than most because he has his store. But it has a limited selection of groceries, hardware and sundries.

When we go to Noni and Popi's I usually have a list. I'm your worst nightmare in line at Costco because I'm shopping for two separate businesses, both with tax exemptions, and myself. That's three times I have to be rung up. M does go to Walmart once a week to shop for the store, but that's him, not me. I don't put everything I need on his list.

As far as the fast food goes, it's a relatively rare treat for us. My child is not being raised on Chicken McNuggets, you can rest assured.

So if it seems like all we ever do at Noni's is shop, it's actually only a part of what we do there. But it needs to be done.