Thursday, April 12, 2007
How adult are you?
This isn't your usual internet meme lameness. It's an actual psychology study. It's all centered around a book that has caught my interest, The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen by Robert Epstein, Director Emeritus of the Cambridge Center for Behavioral Studies in Massachusetts. I've encountered the idea before that adolescence is a modern construct and not especially a good one. Dr. Helen has a podcast interview with the author and there's a lively discussion of the book in her comments.

What you might be interested in is taking the test. You can do that here: www.howadultareyou.com. I took the test, half dreading to be revealed as the immature brat I feel like I am most of the time. I scored an 87% out of 100. Not too bad. Areas where I scored 100% were Leadership, Problem Solving, Verbal and Math Skills, Handling Responsibility, Managing High-Risk Behaviors, Managing Work and Money, Self Management, and Citizenship. I scored 89% in Sex, Physical Abilities, Education, and Personal Care. I scored the lowest (78%) on Love and Interpersonal Skills.

Now, I will warn you that if you use the scroll wheel it changes your answers. I may have screwed up a few of them before I realized that. You get the benefit of a warning ;)