Sunday, April 15, 2007
Meet the Author
One of the activities that prevented me from blogging faithfully this week was an evening out for one of our infrequent cultural events. I went to an author reading and book signing. Donald McCaig read from his two new books Canaan and A Useful Dog.

Years ago I read his Nop's Trials, Nop's Hope and An American Homeplace. The Nop's books are about sheep-herding border collies. My family had a border collie for seventeen years as I was growing up. They're a stunningly intelligent breed of working dog. McCaig trains the dogs to herd sheep and travels to sheep dog trials all over the U. S. to run the trials with his dogs.

While I wasn't all that interested in Canaan, his reading from A Useful Dog was quite enthralling. I left the reading with a signed copy of the book and an appreciation for talented writers. I wish I had the creativity to paint pictures with words like authors of McCaig's caliber. When he read I felt like I was hearing art.