Tuesday, August 28, 2007
Cape Hatteras Lighthouse
On Thursday afternoon we went to the Hatteras Lighthouse. My brother's family had never been to Hatteras before so they were obligated to climb the lighthouse. You can read more about it here. It's quite a climb, but the last time I did it I was four months pregnant so I could probably manage it without having a heart attack, even though I'm well above fighting weight. We'll start with their new post card. I love this stylized card so much I bought the t-shirt had bore it.


There it is...it doesn't look so bad. On the other hand it's twelve stories high and 248 iron spiral stairs to climb. Yikes!


No sweat, right?


Ah, we made it. Let's grope my wife's belly to celebrate! Woo hoo!


A view north. To the right of the middle of the picture you can see how narrow the island becomes between villages. Just goes to show you how vulnerable Hatteras is to hurricanes.


Hey look! Ant people! And they're waving at us!


The iron railing around the observation deck. Not so reassuring. Truthfully they mentioned it to us before we went up. They said there was no danger and asked us to please not pick at it.


Aunt K. and the girls.


Popi doing his imitation of what Noni would be doing if she were with us.


Probably an unauthorized view, but a pretty cool picture.


On the way back down. Honestly, the trip seemed longer going down. I don't understand it.


The girls having fun in the observation area on ground level.