Monday, August 27, 2007
Pamlico Sound
On Tuesday we tried out the Pamlico Sound at an area the locals refer to as Canadian Hole. It's a popular spot for sail boarders and kite boarders. It's also very popular with families.

The surf at Hatteras is just too rough for kids. Hell, most days it was too rough for adults. On my first foray into the ocean I was having a great time at first. The waves were huge, they were all doubles and triples, and you had to keep alert for your own safety. Then things went wrong. I got my ass handed to me about three times in a row. I quickly learned that diving under the waves was impossible as I got washed up on the beach three times. I had sand and larger particulate matter jammed down (and up!) my bathing suit and into my nether regions. It was fun, I tell ya. I had abrasions on my knees and hands and I was cleaning sand out of my ears for two days.

The sound, on the other hand, was great. It was as warm as bath water and there were gently lapping waves. We all went straight in and loved it. Even Emma walked into the water and kept on walking until it was to her shoulders. She got smacked in the face by a wave one time but soldiered on. I was so proud of her.

We ended up spending between four and five hours there. It was a great place for kids because the surf was mild and the sand gently sloped out for a long, long way. Fantastic day.

The ever resourceful Uncle B. makes his own shade.


Happy as a clam. Which reminds me...we did find a clam in the water, still closed. They brought it home and put it in a cup with sound water but it never did open. Probably starved to death. Ick.




This group was next to us. Then in front of us. I thought this picture did an awesome job of conveying the spirit of fun that day at Canadian Hole.