Wednesday, September 26, 2007
"Look! A caiman!"
She said this as we were coming through our back gate. I looked at the ground and saw a few leaves. I figured she was playing a game. I asked her what she was talking about. There, there! She pointed. I looked closer. Damned if there wasn't a tiny salamander making his way across the yard. It was the first time I had ever seen one on the property. When you go deep into the woods on the mountains you see them everywhere. But not inside the back gate.

We observed him for quite a while, taking pictures and following his progress. He went to hide behind a planter and I talked Emma into leaving him alone for a while. By the time Daddy got home the little fella was long gone.

My research has revealed that he was a Eastern Newt, a Red Eft. Not quite a caiman.