Thursday, September 20, 2007
Oh, Happy Day!
I did it! I did it! Anthem accepted M and Emma for individual policies and their coverage starts October 1. Woo hoo! Now instead of paying $810 out of pocket a month to cover the two of them on my work group policy we'll be paying $358. Now maybe we can hope to own a home someday. I went for a better policy and chose a higher deductible. We plan to keep an account in the bank as a reserve for medical issues that may crop up. But meanwhile we have a PPO program where we only pay a relatively small co-pay to see their primary physician.

I can't tell you how much anxiety this situation has caused me, pretty much since Emma was born. For the first time since we've been married my husband will now be medically insured. It will cost me the same to insure both of them as I was paying for Emma alone at work.

The pity part of this whole situation is that I'm excited about insurance, which I despise on principle. Ain't modern life grand?