Monday, November 12, 2007
Veteran's Day Memorial Dedication
On Sunday we attended the dedication of a Veteran's Memorial on the courthouse lawn. They raised money by selling pavers (bricks) engraved with the names of local veterans. Actually, they didn't even have to be local, anyone could purchase them for any veteran. My family pitched in and bought one for each of my grandfathers, one for my dad and one for my brother. Noni, Popi and my grandmother came over for the dedication.

It was very nice ceremony. A class act all the way. We had a marine color guard from Quantico and a Marine General as the speaker. A woman wrote a poem especially for the occasion. It's hard to recount for you here, but it was very, very meaningful and well thought out.

The one special moment was when the color guard made their way past us and reached the head of the walk of honor. Everyone was silent and reverant and a familiar little voice pops up, loud and clear as a bell, "Are those soldiers?" I knelt down and whispered in her ear, "Emma, they're marines."