Wednesday, February 13, 2008
I think Valentine's will be a wash
But I'm not crying. Sometimes real life is more important.

My brother-in-law's trip to Texas with his girlfriend turned sour. Our family had to quickly coordinate an emergency extraction for him. The quickest method we could work out was a flight due to arrive at Dulles at 11:55 p.m. tonight. I've already checked the flight and it's been delayed till 12:45 a.m. M gets the pleasure of driving over three hours up there to pick him up in the wee hours. Under the best of circumstances they arrive back home by 5:00 a.m. or so. That's if they don't elect to grab a hotel room along the way.

Anticipating that my husband will be a zombie tomorrow, I invited him to go out to eat at the Inn tonight for their buffet night. I wish you could have seen his face brighten when I suggested it. Emma and I met him at the store when he finished work and we all went for a nice meal together. We dropped him off at his car afterward and he began his journey. Emma and I came home and I took over bath and bedtime duties.

I figure I have Emma's and M's cards and treats ready for the morning so I'm covered. We'll save our celebratory energy for Friday, which is M's birthday.