Friday, March 14, 2008
R-E-S-P-E-C-T
After work today I needed to drive Emma over the mountains to meet Noni and Popi at the halfway point. M was kind enough to pick her up for me and deliver her to my place of work so we could shave off a few minutes of time getting there. M put her in the car and said his goodbyes for the weekend. We no sooner pulled away from the curb when Emma starts in on me.

"I want my songs!"

"Uh, how do you ask for songs."

"May I please have my songs?"

"I'm thirsty, I want a drink."

"Emma, I'm driving with both hands, I can't get you a drink right now."

"I'm hungry, Mommy, I'm really hungry."

"Emma, I can't help you right now, I'm driving."

"I don't want those songs, I want the new songs."

"Emma, I can't do everything at once!"

"I want my new songs!"

"Emma, you really don't have any respect for me at all, do you?"

Very blithly, "No."

I take solace in the fact that she doesn't know what the word "respect" actually means. Obviously it's a lesson we need to work on.