Sunday, April 13, 2008
Carnivore extraordinaire
Noni made rib eye steak for supper last night. I split mine with Emma, giving her a generous portion because I know how that girl loves steak. She ate all her meat, practically ignoring the mashed potatoes and applesauce on her plate. When she had finished all of the meat on her plate she eyed the other steak left on the serving plate and said, "Hand over the meat!"

I laughed out loud. Did I hear what I thought I heard? I asked Noni. She heard what I heard. We made her ask correctly and then gave her more meat. I wondered where she had learned that one.

Last night when I came home I tried to relay the story to M of what Emma had said at supper. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember for the life of me how exactly she had said it. "Lay some meat on me?" "Hit me with some meat?" Arrgh!

I was trying to recall it again this morning so I could post about it. I even left a message on Noni's machine in case she might remember exactly what Emma had said.

Then at nap time the mystery was solved. I put down Emma for nap today. It was one of the rare occasions that I do that job. She chose her current favorite story for me to read to her. As I read through the story the words jumped out on the page. "Hand over the meat!" spoken by the Captain to his crew in the story, "How I Became a Pirate."