Sunday, April 20, 2008
My fourteen favorite British entertainers
OK, actually I mean folks from the British Isles. My apologies to the Irish, who are included in this list. These folks are not necessarily ranked in order of preference. I have no idea how these people rank as humans. This is a shallow assessment, mostly based on cute accents :)

1. Morrissey - Lyrical genius and enigmatic too. I wish I could see him in concert. Still.

2. Freddie Mercury - Long live the Queen! Flamboyant and so so talented. A larger than life character who is sorely missed.

3. David Bowie - A very talented man who has done so much behind the scenes to shape the music scene and help other musicians. He's a clever marketer, too.

4. Christian Bale - Born in Wales. He's been my list for years. I can't wait for Batman Returns. Sorry Heath, I'll still be watching it for Christian. Please forgive me.

5. Simon Pegg - My most recent discovery. Still can't wait to see "Run, Fatboy, Run."

6. Daniel Craig - James Bond. Seriously, he melts my butter. Can't wait for November and the release of "Quantum of Solace."

7. Liam Neeson - Irish. I've liked him since way back in the eighties. Casting him in a movie is a sure way to gain my interest.

8. Ewan McGregor - I've enjoyed him in numerous films. He's a pretty ballsy actor, not afraid to let it all hang out.

9. Jonathan Rhys-Meyers - I think I fell for him in "Bend it Like Beckham." Those eyes! That face! Whew!

10. Eddie Izzard - Funniest comedian in a dress, EVAR! I like his comedy, fast-paced and intelligent. Sometimes it's hard to keep up!

11. Jennifer Saunders - Come on, Edina Monsoon? Everything I never want to be in a mother. Brilliant! No wait...absolutely fabulous!

12. Kate Winslet - Strikes me as a human person, with her priorities in the right place (children!). I probably wouldn't want to know her politics though. Just a suspicion...

13. Hugh Grant - Always entertaining, even though I suspect he's always playing himself.

14. John Cleese - I've loved Monty Python since I can remember. John manages to pop up in the most unexpected places.

Left off intentionally:
Jude Law - Nice eye candy, seems like a lout in real life.
Colin Ferrell - Also a lout, not even that nice looking.

UPDATE: I'm updating to include a glaring omission. Billy Idol. I know this will sound like a lame excuse, but he's been in the U.S. so long that I had about forgotten that he's really British. Duh.